Zeko Shoes Ultimate Fishing Shoe
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for camper canvas frame DC 35

looking for camper canvas frame DC 35

Hi, I have a DC 35 that survived (barely) a tornado Feb 28. The boat lost a couple of rails but the real damage was to our camper top, it is basically gone the frame is all twisted. Insurance co totalled our boat but we want to keep it and restore it. I love my Chris Craft Anyone who is parting out or knows of a frame for camper canvas I would be interested. Thanks!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm surprised your boat is in the water!
    With a few photographs and some of the existing hardware, it will not be difficult for a good canvass shop to re-create that. The frame hardware can be purchased from Sailrite on line if needed.
    the railing parts can be purchased from Wolf's Marine in Benton Harbor , MI. You may have to order some pieces but he can get any fittings. Bending the aluminium railing will be the task.
    1979 Chris Craft Catalina 251
    1977 Catalina C25 Sailboat
    1965 Chris Craft 22' Cutlass 327F
    And a really small dinghy.

Most likely gonna need to find a custom guy. These aren't common enough for kits. A canvas guy should be able to bend any aluminum rail for you the same as the stainless hoops you'll require. It's a big investment and mush is labor, but there are better materials now that last longer so you'll get more from your investment. With that radar ripped out, you plan on doing any of your own glass work, or hire it out?

And sorry for your loss. At least you know what you have to work with, rather than buying another that looks nice, only to have something unexpected take a dump on ya.
    Don, Marilyn, Maria and Bailey
    1979 Chris Craft Catalina 251 Hardtop.
    Stand By

Thank you for the replies

Quote Originally Posted by redleg View Post
    Most likely gonna need to find a custom guy. These aren't common enough for kits. A canvas guy should be able to bend any aluminum rail for you the same as the stainless hoops you'll require. It's a big investment and mush is labor, but there are better materials now that last longer so you'll get more from your investment. With that radar ripped out, you plan on doing any of your own glass work, or hire it out?

And sorry for your loss. At least you know what you have to work with, rather than buying another that looks nice, only to have something unexpected take a dump on ya.
    we had a halfway decent day yesterday to go over the frame and it actually is really that bad. one post that was broken the rest just kinda pulled out of its socket. one of the other members of the club is going to take the tower cause we never used it and all in all not as bad as I was thinking. we have a member who makes makes the canvas tops so Im going to call him today and the guy who was switching over our carberatours to injectors can make the fiberglass repairs! We have been leaving her in the water with a bubbler, the other boats around us have bubblers too and it seems easier on the old girl that hoisting her out and putting on jacks. in two years we will pull her and have her bottom repainted. but again thank you guys for your replies, I was a little down thinking the poor girl was done.

thank you for the reply I was wondering where I would be able to get the railing and odds and ends fittings, when we first bought her I took pictures of the inside of the canvas so I would know how to put it back together, so glad I did that! since I now have pics to hopefully recreate my camper top, now to find the pictures....this is our second year of bubbling and it seems to put less stress on the old gal.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    thank you for the reply I was wondering where I would be able to get the railing and odds and ends fittings, when we first bought her I took pictures of the inside of the canvas so I would know how to put it back together, so glad I did that! since I now have pics to hopefully recreate my camper top, now to find the pictures....this is our second year of bubbling and it seems to put less stress on the old gal.
    Sounds like you have quite an adventure ahead of you! Saving a classic CC is a true labor of love. Given enough time and money any boat can be restored. Plus 1 on Wolf Marine and Sailrite. EBay and Amazon can also provide some parts sources too. Don't forget to contact our friends here, Chris Craft Parts for help! The only thing I would caution on is doing major fiberglass and other structural repairs while your boat is still in the water. Moisture content, weather variables and just plain project organization is just easier to control while the boat is on the hard ( in my opinion).
    Good luck! I'll keep a watch out for spare parts

just a quick update, we are almost done with the storm damage, canvas is almost done wanted to show off my "new"boat, we went with black instead of the blue . IMG_6773.jpgIMG_6774.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks good. Thanks for the update.
    Don, Marilyn, Maria and Bailey
    1979 Chris Craft Catalina 251 Hardtop.
    Stand By

Quote Originally Posted by Julie View Post
    What is bubbling??

Looks awesome!! New canvas is always a great feeling!! Looking good!

Bubbling is putting a device in the water that keeps it moving around in the winter so it doesn't freeze to ice around the hull. Several people here in Ohio bubble in the winter but it is not a guarentee that the water won't freeze so bubble at your own risk
    1987 Chris Craft 381 Catalina
    1980 Yamaha Y36 sailboat
    1997 Baja 260
    1984 Chris Craft 230 Scorpion
    1984 Baja 184 SunSport