Zeko Shoes Ultimate Fishing Shoe
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Log Style to Center Rise Manifold Conversion

Not much room in there for sure ! I'd say if the belt is tight it's probably about where it should be...

Anyway, looking good !!

Hope to splash mine tomorrow...
    1983 280 Catalina

"When in danger, or in doubt.
    Run in circles, scream and shout."

Robj, looking good! I like the access plate for front engine access. The pleasure craft industry never thinks about a belt change or other machinery access. I want to improve the access to the front of mine, but I don't want to compromise the bulkhead, I'm sure one day I will run across something and go that's it!

I think the plate went in for setting timing, then really helped when removing the pulleys and balancer. I was a little worried about the belts and pulleys lining up as I wasn't sure the balancer has seated all the way. I found out the balance should be 1.00 from the crank nose so all is good.

A few more parts added;
    IMG_3922.jpg

IMG_3924.jpg

A shop night tonight to make the bracket for the raw water strainer. Next trip, manifolds.
    robj

ps Switched to new OS for my Mac now my photos seem to post upside down. Grrr...

So I was removing the exhaust manifolds from my mockup, and the gaskets stuck and tore, so while looking up stainless gaskets I stumbled across this;
    https://www.perfprotech.com/blog/art...e-exhaust-tips

It appears I did or am doing everything wrong,

I had;

1. a nice set of S.S. manifold bolts..."tips" says, don't use stainless, they stretch too much. [Stainless 70,000 T.S. grade 5 120,000 t.s.], but they recommend a torque of 26 Ft.Lbs, dry. I guess but that seems like a pretty low torque setting to be stretching a s.s. bolt. but, off today for grade 5 or 8 bolts.
    They [McMaster-Carr] do have high strength stainless but they are like 8 bucks each. I'll pass on that.

2.screw in plugs, I used teflon tape and screwed them in pretty good. Tips- No sealant with teflon and adjust "snug" as they can expand and crack the cast housing. So, I will be removing all the plugs and re-installing, more "gently".

However, I do not see any issue with the teflon tape. Is that an issue?
    Grrr...

Robj

Rob I used regular auto exhaust gaskets. Don't see any reason for SS gaskets. Also just 'regular' bolts to mount them. Came with the manifolds I think.
    I prefer to not mix 2 different metals if possible. Look up SS and crevice corrosion, I think that's what it's called..

The plugs are 'pipe' thread so they tighten up as you screw them in. I used pipe 'goop' sealant on them.

Wouldn't the plug and riser-manifold heat up and expand at the same time ?? Sometimes I'm just not to sure about some of the stuff you read about...... Everybody's entitled to their opinion.
    1983 280 Catalina

"When in danger, or in doubt.
    Run in circles, scream and shout."

Some Progress. Manifolds, Alternator. Raw Water Pump and some various bits installed. Next up, bilge pump and exhaust.
    IMG_0039.jpg

And for all the budding Marine Electricians out there, wire nuts and solid core house wiring is not the way to go... ALL the wires to the battery charger are solid core. One had already fractured at the connector. Nice...

Main wire from Alternator;
    IMG_0018.jpg

Not sure I'm looking forward to the wiring portion of this,
    robj
    Last edited by tricyclerob; 06-17-2017 at 11:04 PM.

Seems like whenever I get an old boat I have a 5 gal bucket full of old wires when I'm done from all the aftermarket tinkering by past owners. Some people think because they finished their own basement they can wire a boat lol.
    1982 Catalina 251 "OLD SCHOOL"

A "Progress" report; [sort of]

Manifolds and Thermostat housing on. Engine water pump, etc... Check. Good news the custom bracket worked and all the belts and pulleys line up perfect.

And, speaking of holes in the boat that need to be filled, what the heck is with the dang drain/bulkhead fitting in the forward part of the bilge. My plywood backing plate was composte and I couldn't get that thing apart. Heat, big wrench, custom wrench on the mushroom...Nothing worked. Ended up cutting the nut off with angle grinder... then priced a new one. Holy S**t, $$$$$. [Maybe I should have tried to get the old one apart harder!!!]

All the seacocks, new backing plates, all raw water cooling are in. Seacock to a strainer, to trans cooler to copper tubing to the front of engine and across with hose to the raw water pump. Had to take the alternator brackets, etc... apart [again]to move the water pump to the second bolt bolt as the hose was against the alternator adjusting bracket.
    One step forward, one step back.
    A/C seacock and strainer are in and new hoses run.
    [It never had a strainer on either raw water or a/c]

Started on fuel filter and fuel lines, then figured better do the exhaust first as I wanted to avoid any proximity to the exhaust.

Started on the exhaust today. With new center rise manifolds and new stainless collector, nothing seemed to fit the way I liked or wanted.
    I realized the one deck support bracket on the starboard side was at a angle while the port side was vertical. That was where the issue was. I guess the F.G. collector took up less room.
    So, removed both supports and spent this evening making 2 new supports which are both angled slightly.
    It was actually a pleasant change to do some woodworking!

With both support now angled slightly I'll probably put some slight upward pressure on the cross support so when thing settle a little there's no sag.

Did a little "wiring" [so to speak] over the weekend. Pretty much a multi-meter and long jumpers, just trying to figure out what goes where. The good news is I have a wiring diagram, the bad news is, I have a wiring diagram.

I ordered a "Blue Sea", Add a Battery-Plus", which is a charger and an automatic charge controller, and a new battery switch. A 10 amp. charger that does away with the old charger and the battery isolater. Three stage charging, tailored to each battery with a battery temperature sensor and a dash mount LED readout. Sounds good, we'll see.

A quick question. When at dock where does any bilge water concentrate? Or is the "deepest"?
    My recollection was, pretty much under the oil pan. Or am I imagining that???

Took the week off for "vacation" if you call 10-12 hours a day up and down the ladder and into the bilge, 35 times a day "vacation".

At least I'm not at my desk. I told them not to call me unless the building's on fire and it better be a big fire...

And speaking of a big fire, I'm hoping to get to wiring this week...

robj
    Last edited by tricyclerob; 06-26-2017 at 07:00 PM.