Zeko Shoes Ultimate Fishing Shoe
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My "new" old boat

My "new" old boat

I've been looking for a small 16'-18' runabout for a few years.. Since the styling of nearly all boats built in the last 20 years leaves me cold, I refuse to tolerate the maintenance headaches of a sterndrive, and I've grown weary of the buzz of outboards.. That left me with 70's vintage inboard runabouts, since I've always had a soft spot for the 16'-18' Century Resorters from the early 70's, I went on the hunt..

I came across a Resorter 16 on Craigslist a few months ago and followed it for a couple of months until the price dropped to $5500.. It's a 1973 Century Resorter 16 with it's original 225 HP 318 Chrysler, the boat is a true "survivor".. Hooked up a garden hose and fired up the engine, it popped right off without so much as a hiccup and settled down to a nice smooth idle.. In the last few years it's had the raw water pump rebuilt, carburetor replaced, and electronic ignition installed.. The interior is all original but is starting to show it's age, the removable rear center floor panel behind the motor box needs to be replaced due to rot, and both of the wood seat bases need to be rebuilt.. But overall it's nothing that prevents the boat from being used as is.. All the original chrome is in excellent condition and just needs a light buffing to restore it's luster.. But after I scrubbed it with a fine tooth comb and pointed out the rotted floor and seat bases along with a few other nit pick items that will be pricey to restore, I offered him $4500 and we had a deal..

Here's a few pics after I got her home, I think she'll make a fine companion for my 251..

100_2645 by cc_john67, on Flickr

100_2646 by cc_john67, on Flickr

100_2647 by cc_john67, on Flickr

100_2648 by cc_john67, on Flickr
    Last edited by CC-John; 07-01-2017 at 05:17 AM.
    CC-John

1978 251 Catalina Express
    Powered by: PCM 383 CID GM (Bored & Stroked Chevy 350, 330 HP)

1973 Century Resorter 16
    Powered by: 1972 Chrysler LM318 (225 HP)

Nice John !!
    It's even got turn signals....

Like the logo on your truck too !!
    1983 280 Catalina

"When in danger, or in doubt.
    Run in circles, scream and shout."

Quote Originally Posted by Solly View Post
    Nice John !!
    It's even got turn signals....

Like the logo on your truck too !!
    Solly,

That's the shift lever behind the steering wheel.. Since the shifter has no positive neutral detent, the transmission is equipped with a dual circuit neutral safety switch.. One part of the switch controls the starter relay circuit and the other part sends power to a green "neutral" indicator light in the dash.. The throttle control is the large black knob on the dash to the right of the wheel, you depress the button in the center to unlock and pull the knob to increase engine speed, release the button and it locks the cable at the set speed..

I'm gonna hold off passing judgement on this system until I've driven the boat a time or two, I may end up retrofitting a single lever-dual function control like the one on my 251 or maybe just retrofitting a foot controlled throttle.. A foot controlled throttle was available as a factory option on the early Resorters..

It's steering system is a throwback to the old mahogany runabouts, it has an automotive style steering box at the end of the steering column under the floorboard, just like a car.. The pitman arm is connected to the tiller on the rudder by a long "tie rod" made from a single length of 1/2' galvanized pipe that runs along the inboard side of the starboard engine stringer..
    Last edited by CC-John; 01-18-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16

A friend of mine has a '94 at his house on Clear Lake. Not sure when they stopped making them, but they were around for awhile. I really liked the old Chrysler marine V8's, getting hard to find parts for, but if it is in good running shape I would keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by andybuzz2u View Post
    A friend of mine has a '94 at his house on Clear Lake. Not sure when they stopped making them, but they were around for awhile. I really liked the old Chrysler marine V8's, getting hard to find parts for, but if it is in good running shape I would keep it.
    IIRC, the fiberglass 16' & 18' Resorters were only built from 1970-1975.. The 18' Resorters reappeared in 1980 and were built until 1986, they reappeared again in the early 90's for a limited run.. Clean Resorters don't pop up for sale to often, most owners of them usually have one or two buddies that are waiting in line when they're ready to sell..

The old 318 in my Resorter only has 711 hours and has excellent compression and oil pressure, it needs a new thermostat and some of the hoses replaced that are showing their age.. I'll probably get a head gasket set for it and pull the top end down as it has a few small oil leaks on the valve covers and intake end seals, will probably go ahead and put a fresh timing chain & gears in it because the little Mopars tend to be hard on timing chains.. For now, I'm just gonna replace the thermostat and replace all the old original exhaust hose at the engine & transom (rest of the system is copper pipe), and run the snot out of it this summer.. Then next winter I'll pull the engine to clean it up, fix the few oil leaks, give 'er a fresh coat of Chrysler blue paint and thoroughly degrease and scrub the bilge before reinstalling it.. I'm planning on doing a "rolling" restoration over a few years, the little boat doesn't need a lot to make her into a show winner..

I haven't had any trouble finding any of the parts I might need for this engine, there's a huge amount of aftermarket support for them.. Hell, I've found Barr replacement manifolds & elbows for less than the replacement manifolds for the PCM Chevy in my 251..
    CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16

I can't tell in that one picture of the engine, does your motor have the water circulation pump or is it incorporated into the sea water pump? That is one design I really like and I don't why the rest never did it. Getting rid of that pump frees up some easy HP on an engine. I think the FWC engines had to have the circulation pump. Can't remember. IMGP0171_zps28dff340.jpg Friend of my dad brought a new 1968 or 69 Chrysler/Lonestar Cruise Liner 3 with a 225 slant 6 in it, with a Chrysler outdrive marinized by Volvo. Had Volvo on the valve cover and the Pentastar stamp all over the engine, like someone is not going to recognize a Chrysler slant 6. That was an interesting boat. Lost it during hurricane Alicia. I always wanted one, but the ones I have looked at are FUBAR and not worth buying. One thing I remember the most from the 70's was Chrysler Marine's advertising.cb.JPGchrysler_decals_marine_boat_motor_4_inch_square.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by andybuzz2u View Post
    I can't tell in that one picture of the engine, does your motor have the water circulation pump or is it incorporated into the sea water pump? That is one design I really like and I don't why the rest never did it. Getting rid of that pump frees up some easy HP on an engine. I think the FWC engines had to have the circulation pump. Can't remember. IMGP0171_zps28dff340.jpg Friend of my dad brought a new 1968 or 69 Chrysler/Lonestar Cruise Liner 3 with a 225 slant 6 in it, with a Chrysler outdrive marinized by Volvo. Had Volvo on the valve cover and the Pentastar stamp all over the engine, like someone is not going to recognize a Chrysler slant 6. That was an interesting boat. Lost it during hurricane Alicia. I always wanted one, but the ones I have looked at are FUBAR and not worth buying. One thing I remember the most from the 70's was Chrysler Marine's advertising.cb.JPGchrysler_decals_marine_boat_motor_4_inch_square.jpg
    This engine has the "dual pocket" raw water pump with no circulator pump on the timing cover.. Looking at the pic you posted, I think someone in the past has been monkeying with the cooling system on my engine, I need to get my hands on a service manual so I can verify the proper hose routing for each side of that pump thru the block & manifolds.. IIRC, Chrysler went to a more conventional raw water cooling system on the 318's in '74 or '75, I'll probably start rounding up the parts to convert mine to the later style cooling system so I'll be able to install an Edelbrock Performer intake.. After I take some careful measurements inside the motor box, I might even retrofit a fresh water cooling system to it so I won't be limited to use on inland lakes.. This boat has only been used on fresh water all it's life..

I've got a set of clean, used, OEM 318 marine valve covers on the way for it to get rid of those aftermarket aluminum ones on it.. With the original style valve covers, I'll be able to get the PCV system operating again so it will stop depositing an oily funk all over the inside of the motor box.. The aftermarket covers don't have a provision for a PCV valve and the engine has just been running an open breather for however long those covers have been on it, I'm thinking this may be the cause of the numerous small oil seeps at the valve covers and intake ends.. Getting a new thermostat in it and getting the PCV functional again will go a long way to help keep the oil cleaner between changes..

Talking about the old Slant sixes... Back in the late 80's I went with my dad to go look at an early 70's, twin inboard Pacemaker 25' Wahoo center console that he was thinking of buying.. It was powered with it's original Chrysler Slant six inboards crammed under the center console.. It was the first time I ever saw a Slant six that wasn't lurking under the hood of a Dodge Dart..

I have a buddy that's a certifiable Mopar nut and he's already offered me a early 70's 340 out of his engine stash to build up for this little boat.. We'll see, I think this little 1900# boat will be plenty fast with 225 HP on tap, it should have no problem venturing north of 40-45 MPH with a couple of people on board and that's plenty fast for me in a boat of this size..
    CC-John